Too hot, bitterly cold, excessively wet or no rain for weeks. The British people and countryside find it hard to cope with ever changing seasonal weather but remember to spare a thought for your boots!
They put up allot, traipsing through thick muddy gateways, crunching through icy grass and then baking sun filled hacks. Then the dry, dusty days poo-picking and pulling weeds in the summer months.
Bareback Footwear was built to thrive in these conditions although with a few minutes of care regularly they can be so much happier doing so.
Wet and Wild Winters
Leather is a natural product and these different environment's have an impact on the life span and function of the boots. So it is important that correct care and regular cleaning is given particularly when they are subjected to constant soaking and exposure to wet conditions.
If they get caked in mud and dirt it is best to:
- clean the off with fresh, clean water to remove any acids and harmful chemicals that can damage natural leather products
- remember to dry off in a natural environment so they are not going from one extreme to another
- If the lining of the boots have got wet please its best to dry this out thoroughly before using again, crumpled up news paper works well inside. Some of our boots do have removable insoles for ease of drying.
- Apply Bareback Footwear luxury dubbin liberally as regularly as you can.
Our best boots for dry, warm feet during this tough time are our Waterproof collection
Dry and Dusty Summers
It is important to remember you cannot over clean or over protect your boots with a conditioning wax or spray, just like your skin care routine your boots will last longer and fair better from continuous treatment and care.
When continuous heat makes the ground dry and dusty, this dirt is best removed with a wet soft brush or sponge with clean luke warm tap water, however with suede or nubuck do not submerge, gently clean we recommend using a special nubuck/suede care product.
Waxed and polished leathers: use a protector spray in a circular motion, allow to dry for 5mins before using a nourishing dubbin, cream or balm with a soft cloth paying attention to the foot area where the boot will have a natural foot crease. Also using a polish will help the appearance and scuff marks (you cannot apply too frequently) products can be found on our website here.
- Never leave your boots covered in muck and mud to dry out without any treatment and expect a long life span!
- Never dry your boots in direct contact with a heat source like a radiator or a fireplace.
- Do not use aggressive products and detergents to clean the boots.
- Never store boots when still damp or store folded.
- Do not leave zips with dirt in and force down at any time
- Any boots with laces do not soak these and leave next to a heat source.
- Never forget the boots are leather and will dry out over time if never cared or treated
Your beautiful Bareback boots will only look and wear for years to come depending on how well you look after them. Do you have a specific questions about your boots, ask below!