Choosing tall riding boots can be a difficult process, we had to start a company just to find a pair that fitted nicely! Hopefully not everyone has to go this far to find their perfect pair. Here are some tips we've found key to know if your boots fit correctly.
Calf fitting is the area which most people tend to struggle, if you count yourself in what we think is a majority of people that find it awkward buying knee high boots we are here to help! It took me years of searching before I found something that both looked nice and suited my riders calf’s.
- The calf length should be just bellow the back of the knee, assume a riding position with knees bent. It is OK to feel that boot in the crease of the knee however this should not be uncomfortable, the boots should drop around ¼ of an inch, all leather boots do!
- Tall riding boots should be tight without cutting circulation off. Watch out for the cut of the calf, if this does not follow the curve of your leg you may find that you could have a gap in between the widest point of your calf and ankle.
- The zip should be firm and should zip all the way to the top. It is OK to for the boots to be tight when zipped up as the leather will stretch, however if the zip is forced excessively it will put excess strain on the zip which could cause them to pop.
Foot size is important, when you are trying on tall boots use the socks and leg wear that you normally ride in.
- When standing you don’t want to feel your toes at the end of the boot
- You should be snug in the foot without being pinched, all good leather stretches and will allow the boots to become molded to your foot the more you wear them.
- A little heel movement is normal, but you do not want to feel like you are slopping around
The fit round the ankle is down to personal preference, some people love the support of a very tight fitting boot round the ankle while others perfect a looser fit for maximum range of movement.
- New riding boots should be a little tricky to get on at first, especially Italian leather ones. If the boots are excessively loose round the ankle the leather will crease, affecting their comfort, durability and look.
If your boots are a struggle to get on to start with, use a shoehorn or a thin sock. While researching our Spanish riding boot collection in Spain we were told to use a plastic bag instead of a sock! I can confirm this does work if you don’t mind looking a bit silly in the process.
Had enough of searching and not finding your perfect pair? Why not have a look at our bespoke made to measure service which is available on all our tall riding boots.
Find your fit
Still searching for perfect fit? We design footwear in a multitude of different fits and with different adjustments to suit all.
Measuring your calf
Before ordering long riding boots it is best to measure your calf. This can ensure you have a great fitting long riding boot and can prevent the effort of sending a boot which does not fit back. Measuring your calf is simple here is our guide:
Each manufacture may have different instructions on the best way to achieve the perfect fit. This will depend on the long boots construction, what leather is used and if there is any adjustments.
You can find size guides on our product page.
Suggested Long Riding Boots
Montana Tall Riding Boots - Brown - Standard and Wide Fit
The Montana is our ultimate high performance durable long riding boot. Made from Italian crushed nubuck leather for supreme softness and comfort, it incorporates a full length elasticated OPTI zip from foot bed to knee for ease and flexibility. The Montana boots have been designed for performance and comfort when worn in and out the saddle.
Andalucia Boots - Brown
Our signature boot, the Andalucia, is crafted from soft Italian waxed leather and designed to combine style and functionality. The gorgeous fit of the Andalucia is created by the individual fit of each wearer with the perfect lace adjustability and high cut side around the back of the knee to ensure freedom of movement and style. Rear scalloped edge elasticated panel gives a comfortable fit with a full length zip for ease of use.